Monday, June 29, 2015

Love is a great thing


If you're a friend of mine on FB, you would probably be able to guess that I'm quite into the whole LGBT movement.
I guess it's because I spent 10 years in an all girls' school, which made the whole girl on girl scene all too familiar.
I'm not implying that one gets 'influenced' or can turn gay.
But that it was a normality and experimenting and girl crushes were common.
I'm not embarrassed, nor will I deny if someone asks me if I had ever dated a girl.
The truth is I did. And that very fact just shapes me the way I am.
It also allowed me to experience something that I would probably never experience being straight.
And that something is judgement.

When I was dating my ex, there was this particular incident which made me feel, I can't find the right word, disgusted? with myself.
Disgusted is a pretty strong word, but I can't put what I felt into words.
We were holding hands, walking from her home to mine, when we walked past this old man.
He wasn't old, old. But like, in his 50s?
When we passed by, he whistled.
At that moment I was stunned.
I don't know what that meant. It could be like a pervertic cat whistle, or simply just a whistle.
Maybe I was being sensitive.
But to me, at that moment, maybe even up till now, I felt, I don't know. Like we were being mocked at.
It made me rethink about everything.

Up till before that moment, I had always been okay with my sexuality.
So what if I was dating a girl? So what if I had crush on a senior? So what if I had a crush on my best friend when I was in Primary school?
It did not bother me, or anyone else.
But that one single incident, made me feel out of place. Like I wasn't normal.
I thought hard. I thought long.
I thought to myself, what good is a girl-girl relationship going to be?
We can't get married. We can't live together like a couple. We can't have kids. We can't have anything any other heterosexual couple can have.
Needless to say, I started fixating on guys and I found myself concealing the fact that I dated a girl.
Up to now, I guess I still consider myself as a straight, heterosexual girl, and my past as just a period of experimenting.
But I think deep down, I'm bi, just more inclined and attracted to boys.
I'm still really attracted to girls. Especially those who are more boyish and masculine.
But I don't feel out of place anymore.
Instead, I feel protective? of the LGBT community.
It's probably because of what I experienced, and also because I have really close friends who are simply bi, or homosexuals.
It's also because of them that I really started standing up for the cause, and even attending Pink Dot from 2010-2012.

I'm writing this today because U.S. just recently ruled that states could no longer ban same-sex marriages.
It's really touching to see how the world is really evolving, and maturing.

But what saddens me are the hateful and bigoted comments.
Just, why are you fighting against people loving others?
Love is a great thing. It should breed peace, and not hate. 
Yet why are there so many people hating on them?
Gender should not be a problem, just like how race is not. Or nationality. Or beliefs. Or ethnicities.
It just shouldn't be.
Because everyone has a right to love who they want.
And you can't dictate that.
It just isn't fair.
I know life isn't fair, but precisely because of that, why should we make it even more unfair for others?

I'm not saying that everyone has to, you know, like the idea of same sex marriages and relationships.
Everyone does have their own opinion and beliefs, but if you don't support it or agree with it, you don't have to say anything hateful about those who are supporting it, or are involved.
It does not, in any way, affect you. So WHY DO YOU CARE???
And please don't forget, that you definitely DON'T have to be gay to support this movement.

I don't know about any of you who are reading this (if there's anyone at all), and how you guys feel about this, but I'm pretty sure my stance is very clear.
It's okay if you're gonna disagree, because I can't get the whole world to agree with me, but please just don't go around saying offensive and obscene words like 'Go to hell' or 'Fuck off'.
If you're going to say anything mean or unpleasant, please leave this space.

No comments :

Post a Comment