Thursday, September 10, 2015

Vote Wisely this GE2015

Disclaimer: I've always been pro government, so this may stray slightly.

I'm in a dilemma.
Im sure I'm not the only Gen Y voter who is facing this.

Since young, I've been told by my parents that Singapore wouldn't be who she is, without its leaders. We had literally nothing. All we had were different groups of immigrants from different countries. We had no clean water, no natural resources, no proper settlement, no defense, no nothing.
So our leaders cleaned our rivers, built HDBs, created the army - everything.

I'm, very, very much indeed, grateful to what PAP did, and is doing, for us.
We wont have what I mentioned earlier, we won't have a global city, and maybe, just maybe, we won't even be here. Simply put, we may be, and have, what we had 50 years ago - nothing.

But this is exactly why I'm in a dilemma.
Should we vote for them merely out of gratitude and contentment?
I know that they've done a great job so far, but as of late, we have been hearing a lot from others and more opposition parties have been emerging.
Maybe they do have a point?
Maybe some issues are still not met and policies are still inadequate?
As a patriot of my country and believer of my government (I like to say I am), it sometimes gets hard trying to defend my country from friends who do not believe in certain policies.
I get why 6.9m, and I also get why 55 years old - but everything has a flip side.
Don't be mistaken. Do you think I enjoy the fact that it'll be even more crowded than it already is? I already feel that I'm not in Singapore because of the different accents and languages I hear on the train. I also don't like to see our landscape changing. Almost nothing is familiar anymore.
Do you think I enjoy putting aside 20% of my pay every month and let the government invest with it? And not share it with us? (I don't know the details for this but this is what people are saying.)
Hello, I could have taken home more money every month without CPF, but it's not as if we won't get to see it again.
In fact, for someone like me who likes the feeling of spending, it's going to be difficult to set aside retirement money.
Also, promises like $500 every month to individuals are DEFINITELY not the answer.
There's this Chinese saying “可以用钱解决的问题不是问题。” To translate it would be, "Problems that can be solved with money are not problems."
But now the new problem would be, where would that money come from?
Our Singapore money reserve has only so much. 
How long can that sustain us, and is that realistic?
Otherwise what, are you going to start increasing our taxes even more?

In spite of the foolish statements made by the opposition, I feel that their concerns are justified and there is a need to have more alternative voices in parliament that can better represent Singaporeans. But to do it at the expense of our current MPs? I don't think I can do it.

I've seen this line appear many times on social media, "Just look across our border and you'll know how lucky you are." True, but by doing so, are we settling and sticking to being contented?

No comments :

Post a Comment